I found this infographic in the latest issue of the William and Mary Alumni Magazine. Thought folks might be interested to see the mascot progression from bad ass ballboy to pantsless eunuch mythical creature...
- I would have no problem with a return to the Oliver Twist-esque ballboy, though I could do without the drab Cleveland Browns color scheme.
- We seriously had a dog mascot named "Dammit"? Like, this was a thing?
- Wampo was Gumby's horse buddy, no?
- Cal the alligator/bottle opener makes almost as little sense for W&M as a pantsless griffin, so good to know the school has backed asinine mascot choices for over a century.
- Wampo II: Electric Horsealoo
- We know make it to the Dan Snyder-sponsored portion of our program. I would think the headdress might slow down a running back, but what do I know. Also, the school should demand royalties from cult classic The Warriors as they obviously stole the name and baseball bat concept from our mascot. Come out to play, indeed.
- Oh, hey, Wami. [No one share this infographic with Mike Wise, please.]
- Amazingly, Col. Ebirt is not the worst mascot in this picture.
- And of course, the coup de grâce, our current mascot, a legendary Greek creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and an eagle's talons as its front feet. AND NO PANTS. Makes total sense.